Friday 18 May 2012

Review: If I Die by Rachel Vincent


If I Die by Rachel Vincent


My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

Source: Bought


Synopsis from Goodreads:
No one wants to be this teacher's pet…


The entire school’s talking about the gorgeous new math teacher, Mr Beck. That is, everyone except Kaylee Cavanaugh. After all, Kaylee’s no ordinary high-school junior. She’s a banshee — she screams when someone dies. 

But the next scream might be for Kaylee. 

Yeah — it’s a shock to her, too. So to distract herself, Kaylee’s going to save every girl in school. Because that hot new teacher is really an incubus who feeds on the desire of unsuspecting students. The only girls immune to his lure are Kaylee and Sabine — her boyfriend’s needy ex-girlfriend. Now the unlikely allies have to get rid of Mr Beck…before he discovers they aren’t quite human, either. 

But Kaylee’s borrowed lifeline is nearing its end. And those who care about her will do anything to save her life. Anything.



Book 5 in the Soul Screamers series

I know I say this after each book in this series, but I'm going to say it again- THIS IS THE BEST ONE YET!!

I'm loving this series. Each book leaves me desperate for the next one, and wanting to re-read my favourite bits of the previous books all over again in the meantime. I couldn't put this book down!

I love these characters. I love how the writing always tugs at my heart-strings. I'm a big one for trauma and heartbreak in a story, and I love it when a book makes me feel the character's emotions so strongly that I spend an afternoon reading and bawling my eyes out! These books make me laugh and cry, and afraid, and there is always so much going on. I just loved the whole package!

In this book the dynamics of the group are so dramatically changed by the end- Kaylee, Nash, Tod and Emma, have so much happening to them, and Kaylee relies on Tod so much more after Nash's addiction to Demon's Breath. This is definitely a turning point in the series, and so much is changing for all of them. This book felt darker than the previous ones, and had a lot more depth to it in terms of the plotline.

I still adore Tod the most out of all the characters. He has this sweet, innate goodness, and a total selflessness and complete need to try and save everybody all the time. He is so very protective of everybody, that his crush on Kaylee didn't really register with me until part way through this book. I always thought he thought of her like a sister.

The drama is racked up a notch in this book, as Tod finds out that Kaylee is on the death list. And as everybody else rushes about trying to make sure that Kaylee's death doesn't happen, Kaylee is surprising calm and accepting, instead trying to evaluate what is important to her, and spending her last days doing what she wants to do. The countdown is so tense and dramatic, and left me anxious to know whether or not they would be able to stop it.

I'm so glad that I picked this series up. So, if you don't know and are curious about what this is about-
*Spoiler free- if you haven't heard of this series before*
Right, (in a nutshell)- Kaylee and Nash are Bean-sidhes (more commonly known as Banshees) and Kaylee screams uncontrollably if somebody is about to die. They have a complicated on-again-off again relationship. Nash's brother Tod is a Reaper, which means he takes care of people's souls when they die, and he is invisible to most people. Emma is Kaylee's mortal best friend , and they all have to occasionally rescue their classmates from demons who want to suck the life-force out of them. They can shift between this plane and the Underworld which is like an alternate dimension pasted over the top of our world and populated by demons.
I won't be able to do this book justice, but I'M LOVING THIS SERIES!!

Rest of the series:
    Book 6 is due out this summer


2 comments:

  1. I know, I know - I need to dtart reading series. I have all of the books released so far but just not found the time to read them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this series yet, but it has been on my radar, and I am hoping to start them soon. I just promised myself, I would catch up on all the series in my tbr pile. I have two series I am working on..then i will grab this one. Awesome review you make me want to break my own rules..hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Elvendorf Valley and Make Believe kits by Irene Alexeeva