Wednesday 21 September 2011

Waterfall Wednesdays read-along Discussion #4

Waterfall Wednesdays Read-Along Event


Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren

Discussion 4- Chapters 18- 23

This weeks questions hosted by Jenny at Supernatural Snark
 
 
[Ok- the plan when I started this read-along was that I was going to only read along with the chapters needed for each week, so I could just take the book a bit at a time and wasn't too far ahead, but last week it got too good- I couldn't put it down and I actually finished the book!]

1. Gabi and Lia both face several life and death situations in these chapters, having to pick up weapons in defense of those they love and experiencing first hand the brutality of close combat. If you had the choice between picking up a weapon and standing on the front lines or staying behind to tend to the wounded as necessary, which would you choose?

I would be useless at tending to the wounded- I can't stand injuries and blood and would be thrown into a panic not knowing what to do. I think I'd rather be out there, knowing what was happening and doing what I could.

2. Both girls get to wear extraordinary gowns to their victory celebration; what would your dream medieval gown look like?


I would love to wear a dream medieval ballgown! I never get to wear pretty clothes and want a good excuse to wear something like this:
(I know it's not very medieval looking but humour me!)

3. Gabi has crude stitches put in and must endure both their removal as well as the cauterization of the wound. How is your threshold for pain? Do you think you would have simply gritted your teeth as Gabi does?

OW! She is brave. I was gritting my teeth just reading about it! I have no threshold for pain so wouldn't last 30 seconds under any kind of torture. I was cringing the whole way through reading this scene, scrunched up face and everything- it's a good thing the wind didn't change!

4. Marcello wants to properly court Gabi after they express mutual feelings of affection, wanting to speak with her mother about his intentions. What do you think is the most romantic aspect of medieval courtship?

I think it's that sense of involving the whole family, and the courtship feeling like a union of the two families and not just the two people. I personally now would hate it if a bloke asked for my parent's permission to marry me- after I've been living on my own, earning my own money and supporting myself for years- I'm my own person and make my own choices- but I like the gesture in Gabi's case and it is appropriate for the time. It shows that Marcello has good intentions and that he's serious in his declaration.

5. Gabi and Lia find themselves with conflicting desires toward the end with Lia wanting to return home and Gabi hoping to stay. Do you think that Gabi is being unfair to Lia for wanting to stay, or is Lia being unfair to Gabi for demanding they go? A little of both?

A little of both maybe. Lia doesn't really know everything that Gabi has been through with Marcello, but at the same time I agree with Lia that she can't stay- they have to try to find their way back. They have been gone long enough and it would be horrible if they had disappeared and their mother had never known what had happened to them. Lia is thinking logically, with her head, and Gabi is thinking emotionally, with her heart. I do sympathise with Gabi, and her feeling that she has found this perfect love, and may never find anyone like him again.


Last Waterfall Wednesday next week hosted at Irresistible Reads

8 comments:

  1. Wow. LOVE that dress! Such a pretty rich red, I would love to wear that around. I'd wear it to the grocery store and to walk my dogs just to get all the wear out of it I could. I have 0 threshold for pain as well, I'm pretty sure I would have royally embarrassed myself by screaming and crying like a little girl in Gabi's position!

    So glad you couldn't just read the selected chapters each week and had to finish, the same thing happened to me and then I had to read the next 2 books immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was exactly the same I finished the book pretty much immediately and like you I have zero pain threshold I would have been howling like a baby for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous dress. It's ok if it's not medieval, you'd definitely get everyone's attention and be spicing things up a bit. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally loving the dress you picked. Also i agree that Lia is thinking with her mind and Gabbi with her heart. They have a responsibility to return for their mothers sake. She just lost her husband not to long ago it would be horrible to lose both daughters too and not know what happened to them.
    Great answers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dress! Red is so gorgeous in formalwear. Good answers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *whispers* Don't feel bad, I finished all three books back in August! Couldn't help myself*

    So true about the union of the two families. As a modern girl, I'd probably have the same problem as you and it would probably bug me, I mean, I pay a freaking mortgage on my own, but I can't help think it sounds sweet and very respectful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a high tolerance for pain and I was still cringing! haha

    I never thought about it being a union of the two families, nice take!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I say if you're a time traveler, you immediately get to wear whatever gown you want--especially if it's that pretty!

    And thanks for giving in and just reading the rest. That, of course, makes my author heart, happy...Lack of control in voracious readers!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Elvendorf Valley and Make Believe kits by Irene Alexeeva