Saturday 11 June 2011

Review: Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin

Low Red MoonLow Red Moon by Ivy Devlin


My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Low Red Moon is a fast easy read. The action happens really fast, Avery falls desperately in love with Ben really fast, and reconciles with her estranged Grandmother really fast. This is a new(ish) take on werewolf fiction, mixed in with the mystery of the death of Avery's parents, kind of mixed in with a re-telling of the fairytale Little Red Riding Hood.


Avery Hood has always lived in the forest with her parents, a bit of an outsider. The setting of the book is perfect- this small out-of-the-way town in the middle of the woods with all these eerie myths and legends about the wolves in the deeper forest. Avery knows the woods and has always felt safe in them in the past. The book is told from Avery's point of view, plunging straight in with the drama, describing in the first line of the book how she she was found with her murdered parents, covered in their blood, and with no memory of what happened. She has to go and live with her Grandmother, who she hasn't really spoken to much since there was an argument with Avery's father. There is a mystery surrounding the deaths of Avery's parents, and her memories only come back to her very gradually. She starts to remember seeing a flash of silver, and then piece by piece other things start coming back to her.


Then she meets Ben, the hot new boy in town. Ben and Avery eye-hump each other for about 10 seconds before they both decide that they both desperately want each other and will love each other forever. Ben's eyes flash silver when he is feeling a strong emotion, and he can't remember anything about the night Avery's parents died either. There follows the inevitable "I love Ben", "Do I trust Ben?", "I love Ben", "I hate Ben" struggle before the truth is finally revealed in a dramatic finale.


Good Points:

*The characters are good- I like Avery who tries so hard to fit in, and I like her grandmother, who obviously cares about Avery a lot and has been hurt by the rift in their families.
*The setting. The woods, the small close-knit town with it's own stories and superstitions.
*It's well written and the story flows well, keeps your interest and makes sense.
*The werewolf mythology. It's there and explained well.
*The book itself is very pretty

Bad Points:

*The speed of Ben and Avery's 'relationship'.
*The motivation of the town serial killer. Really?!


This is recommended if you run out of any other supernatural YA teen fiction to read first. It's okay.




View all my reviews

6 comments:

  1. I've read mixed reviews about this one...not sure if I'm going to pick it up but I do love a fast read. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was considering giving this one a try but now... I don't know. I'm not keen on those fast relationship types.

    Great honest review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate- It was an okay book, just not wow. I know other people have really liked this though- I guess it just wasn't for me. And I was in a bit of a loopy mood when I wrote this (overdose of Maltesers I think), so I was maybe a bit harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What?! It's a perfectly fragalumtious word!

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Eye-hump

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did like this a bit more than you. I gave it 4/5 (if l remember right) but you are right, it's not a WOW sort of book.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Elvendorf Valley and Make Believe kits by Irene Alexeeva