Monday 30 May 2011

Review: My Soul To Keep by Rachel Vincent

My Soul To Keep (Soul Screamers Book 3) (MIRA)My Soul To Keep (Soul Screamers Book 3) by Rachel Vincent


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Book 3 in the Soul Screamers series




So I finished my next Soul Screamers fix with this book, becoming completely addicted again, and having to keep going until the end of the book. I think this was the best book in the series so far, feeling so much more emotional, and emotionally draining. The storyline flowed better, it was slightly darker than before, and there was more going on.


The characters in this book are more developed as well- we have steadfast Kaylee, who again proves her selfless determination to help her classmates, and even those ones that she can't stand like the arrogant wealthy football players, placing herself in harms way at times to try to protect them from the toxic Netherworld substance "Demons Breath" that they are taking like recreational drugs. Kaylee sets herself on a new mission to find out where they are getting it from and stop the supplier before it goes too far. Kaylee has always been strong and determined, but lacks confidence and has never believed herself quite good enough. I like her moral fibre, and her insecurity makes her very relateable.


Then we have Tod, who is still my favourite character in this series- always trying to protect Kaylee, Emma and even Addison who he has never given up trying to save. Tod clearly cares a lot about Kaylee, and his protectiveness over her is very endearing to read. He drops everything and calls in favours in order to help her, risking his job and his existence. He even punches Nash in the face over the way he treated Kaylee (I cheered), but also frequently intervenes to try to help when he thinks Emma might be in trouble, and unwaveringly always does what he thinks is the right thing to do.


Nash (who for the record I have never really liked, as I've always felt the only reason he wanted to date Kaylee was because they were both bean sidhes) begins to get involved with Demons Breath, and it changes him. Nash shows a secretive conniving side more in this book, telling Kaylee lies, using his power of Influence against her, and ultimately breaking her heart. I hope that Kaylee won't go crawling back to Nash just because he is the popular football player and such a catch(!), but I think that her experiences will make her even more of a kick-ass character.


This book sees Kaylee once again forced to make a trip into the Netherworld, and facing off with the demon hellion Avari (who is so nasty and creepy he makes my skin crawl), to save her friends and save the day. The book ends on an emotional rollercoaster and I really want book four right now!




View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. WHAT?!?!? you don't love Nash?? obvoiously i'm a Nash fan, but hey to each her own i guess. Glad you like the books though. This is the last one i finished too. I ordered the next one today actually. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Elvendorf Valley and Make Believe kits by Irene Alexeeva