Sunday 9 January 2011

'Firelight' by Sophie Jordan

Firelight (Firelight, #1)Firelight by Sophie Jordan


My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I really liked 'Firelight', and it was one of those books which made me want to constantly keep reading it to find out what was going to happen next. I loved the world of the story as well- set in modern America, and the concept of Draki- ancient mythical creatures descended from dragons living together in prides, and hiding out from the hunters who want to kill them. Their greatest secret is that they can transform between human form and Draki at will.


Jacinda, the main character is feisty and determined, and independent, and instantly likeable. She is raised in the pride where duty is everything, and ordered to bond with Cassian, the son of the current alpha, when she develops the power of breathing fire, which is rare in modern Draki. Her mother takes Jacinda and her sister away in the middle of the night, to save her from this fate, and they move far away into a town in the desert (where it is difficult for Jacinda to manifest into Draki), and enroll into a normal high school. This is where Jacinda meets Will- who just happens to be a Draki hunter.


This is where the book falls down a bit with me. Jacinda and Will are just instantly drawn to each other, and Jacinda feels herself madly in love with Will after nothing more than "a feeling", and one conversation in which he says to her that he is dangerous and she should stay away from him- hardly much for a blossoming romance. Will is the same. He is described as someone who never dates, but one look at Jacinda is enough for him to be declaring his undying passion as well. Now I love my romance stories but I do feel I need a bit more to go on than just instant attraction and a really good kiss.


My other gripe is the ending. Even if the book is part of a series (which most YA novels seem to be at the moment) I just feel that it should still be a story in it's own right, with a beginning, a middle and a resolution. And not just stop in the middle of the action with everything left hanging.


All this being said, I did still really enjoy 'Firelight' and would recommend it as a good story. It was sweet, and sometimes thrilling, it kept me interested all the way through, and I am definitely going to get the sequel when it comes out.




View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Also, I absolutely love this cover- beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was everything i was looking for. I could hardly get my mind off it and I didn't want it to end.
    The Best Fleet Repair Kent Premier Automotive Services

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Elvendorf Valley and Make Believe kits by Irene Alexeeva